Spring is the perfect time of year to spruce up and reinvigorate your home. Whether you're a first time buyer, or you've been in your current home for years, a fresh environment brings a fresh outlook. Below are some easy tips to make your house or condo look more spacious (whatever its size), and feel more positively energized with the decor principles of Feng Shui!
Create More Space Visually
- Think diagonal views. Your house will appear much bigger if you are able to stand in one corner and look to the far corner without any obstructions. Diagonal tiles also help to push out the walls, visually.
- Think like a sailor. Aim for no wasted space. Try built-ins, space-saving cabinets, drawers under beds, etc.
- Lighting will open up space. Give your house an airy feeling with simple window dressings that let in natural light and steal space from outdoors.
- Play with the furniture. Move furniture away from walls if space allows.
- Accessorize. The bigger a piece of artwork, the bigger the feeling of space. A strategically placed, moderately sized mirror can further enhance the airiness of
- a space, using reflection to illuminate and expand.
- Colour your world. Use just one or two colours per room for visual simplicity that expands a space. White, neutral or pale colours best reflect light, visually pushing back walls.
- Let there be height. Use at least one tall element in a room to draw the eye upward, towards the ceiling to maximize vertical space. A tall feature also draws the eye up to the less crowded ceiling space above. Minimize the amount of furniture in each room. Select furniture and accessories that perform multiple tasks.
- Clear clutter. Disorder can stop “chi” or positive energy in its tracks, so your entryway should be kept as tidy as possible.
- Hang a mirror. Mirrors symbolically enlarge tight spaces - such as entryways - and are an excellent feng shui tool to “expand” positive energy.
- Use the right accents. Bright reds, warm pinks and shiny metallic will encourage good fortune, and make guests feel good about entering your home.
- Pick the perfect mat. Your interior mat or area rug should be as wide as your door’s width. Anything smaller can make people feel uncomfortable upon entering your home.
- Hanging a mirror? Make sure it’s high enough to show 8” of space over your head, so as not to “cut off” your potential success.
Interested in Buying or Selling in Toronto? I welcome you to:
Search for Real-time real estate listings right now!
Receive a list by email of any area's Homes for sale and be informed THE MOMENT new homes come on the market that match your criteria.
I love questions! Call me directly at 647-999-2470 or email me at email@example.com. I look forward to chatting with you!